Well I did it again; I managed to forget it was Thursday yesterday. Oops. My apologies, gentle readers.
But I do have much to be grateful for so here you go, a day late. 🙂 And for starters today I’m grateful that the University closed early for inclement weather, woot! Snow day! 🙂
I’m also grateful for:
- Being able to participate in the Tournament of Arts last weekend
- My new knitting project 🙂
- I managed to get a room reserved for the Coffee Break on Wednesday *whew!* that was rough!
- Google forms
- We made it home before the worst of the storm!
- I started my award assignment for January event
- My wonderful husband took down the outdoor lights
- My niece, Jennifer, is really coming out of her shell. So much more well adjusted and healthier than she was just a year ago.
- Not having any particular plans this weekend!
- Let’s not forget Dr. Martin Luther King. We could use a guy like him today.
- My cat. Always. 🙂 Cats are awesome.
Hey, first Thursday Gratitude of the year! I remembered too so let’s be grateful for that too 😉
Today I am grateful for:
- Looks like I will have my hand made item for the office gift exchange ready on time *whew* (was a near thing, first two tries went horribly, third try was the charm!)
- Silk camisoles, slips, leg warmers and all the sundry extra layers that make this season bearable
- Our New Year’s tradition of visiting Aiden and Hely ❤ This year they made us dinner too and it was amazing! If Aiden was a D&D Character, he has a natural +10 to all cooking rolls, I’m just saying. Wow.
- It’s been quiet at work this week (shouldn’t say that too loudly, eh?) Ticket count is down below 90 for the first time in eons.
- Sock garters. Surprisingly useful things for keeping long socks up in chilly weather.
- My dad posting photos of birds on the birdfeeders I got him. Apparently it’s his winter sport 😉
- Got two out of two on New Year’s Resolution’s for last year, that’s pretty cool.
- Having my nightgown warmed for me on the radiator in the bedroom. mmmm. warm flannel is a joy on a cold winter’s night!
- Mary-Beth is back to work from being out sick so I was able to deliver something to her. Yay. Also yay that she’s not sick anymore 😉
- Cats and cat videos
- Google Docs
- Hope and optimism
I went back through my blog and looked for highlights for the year; 2017 was actually pretty awesome for me, horrible politics aside. If you’re curious here’s the list:
2017 in review
Finished my “Joker” Elizabethan outfit 🙂
Got to speak at Azriel’s elevation to the Defense
Got to beg a boon to elevate my apprentice Oliver to the Laurel ❤
Repaired my fairy wings for Give Kids a Smile day, and I got to be the Tooth Fairy once more 🙂
I made two new linen undertunics
I started six pink pussy hoods, finished 3 so far 🙂
I did three issues of The Forum (newsletter of the Cleftlands) go me!
I went to the Laurel Retreat in February
Birthday min-break with sister to Geneva on the Lake
I hosted a Cotehardie Party where I helped four people draft patterns for cotehardies 🙂
I knit a shawl
Met Cassie for dinner, was so great to catch up! We must do it again.
The scribal display at SCA March Dessert Revel was awesome
I moved my blog to WordPress
I went to the Dental School Formal and wore my bridesmaid dress from Malinee’s wedding (1997!) It was tight but I’m still calling it an accomplishment. 🙂
I took my Dad to the Louvre. Major bucket list item scratched off, there!
Bought a new jacket for the trip and it worked very well.
I made a miniature for Dulcia
Went to the Marixa picnic, bought kimono 🙂
Finally finished Isobail’s evergreen scroll
Finished the little Bayeux tapestry embroidery kit Azemars gave me (the archer!) 🙂
I fixed the clapper bell on the birdbath
Was the tooth fairy for Alumni and Development’s ‘All In’ promotion
Took photos at Commencement
Made a photo book of our vacation
I changed banks. Hard to do, so worth it!
Marie and I published a Fat Mermaid comic 🙂 (8 pages)
I got the Award of Saint Alfred, my first ever Baronial Award 🙂
Saw Wonder Woman with friends
Made two award scrolls for NOWM
Survived axiUm Go Live (it went pretty well, actually.)
Husband and I both got the Dragon’s Heart at NOWM
Saw Jo Lavano at Uptown with Frankie
We got Air Conditioning!
I recieved the Dorothy Caplain Staff Excellence Award at work, wow.
My apprentice Isobail is now Baroness of Red Spears
I went to Memphis as a contractor, worked hard, ate well, would like to visit the city again sometime as a tourist
We pulled out that carpet in the attic
I knit ‘swircles’ for a Knitting in Early Modern Europe study
I hosted a jewelry trunk show/tea for JenBo and Heidi
Ran a MiddleWiki update contest
Llrydwyl died 😦
I spun gold thread on the drop spindle
Hubby had his cateract surgery
Big MiddleWiki update thanks to Baroness Verena
Ran archery at Standard Bearers and competed in the rapier tournament and did fairly well I think
I got the High Purity Dragon in Dragon City
Got a new work lappy
Bought a new recurve bow
Went to the Leadership Lab for Women in STEM (AWESOME!)
Shot with the CWRU Archery club
Husband became Kingdom Arts Champion 🙂 ❤
I got to beg the boon for my friend Edyth’s elevation to the Laurel, as her Laurel was otherwise indesposed. very honored!
My team won the archery shoot at Brendoken Fest, my first ever archery prize!
Went to the Dental School’s 125th Anniversary gala
I had an epiphany about Personal Vision
Dug up galdiola bulbs
Bought high heels and a purse
Kristen and Halim’s Wedding
I won an archery competition at Red Dragon!!!
Made a 1780s polonaise gown
Cleveland Public Library mini Maker demo
Went to Rochester NY for a mini-break, spent time with Boy Apprentice 🙂
Bought myself a bottle of scotch for the first time ever.
Won the gallery prize at the November rapier tournament
Ran an enamelling day
Colleen Nagy said nice things about me
Danced at the Nursing School party
Helped Will and Seadna move
Saw an allergist!
Today I am grateful for many things. Woah, last gratitude for 2017! Feel the need to sum up somewhat…
- First of all, very grateful for the boots I bought in Liverpool a couple years ago, they’re serving me well this winter. 🙂 hee. They’re not expensive, fake leather and will probably not last long, but they look good, were cheap and are comfy! Long life to you, boots.
- I can change a tire. Did it again today (not grateful for the flat, mind you! but yay, i has skillz. ;)) Also grateful for Smolik tire on 200th street. A trustworthy local merchant is a rare, precious gem.
- My step count is way up over last year’s (I always resolve to increase my average step count and this year I totally killed it. :))
- 2017, while it may have sucked on a world scale, was actually quite good to me. The trip to France was a real wonderful thing and I’ll be basking in that memory for a good while!
- That green jacket I bought to go to France, now my favorite in-between coat for spring and fall. Woot.
- Hubby wants to go back to France 🙂
- That Women in STEM Leadership Lab: first that my department felt well enough of me to send me to the lab, second that such a great program even exists! and finally for how it’s transformed me. I don’t think I’m over-stating that. I’ve struggled with self-esteem and self-confidence my whole life and it’s like someone switched on a lightbulb. Yes, I am pretty awesome. Who knew?? and these are skills I can train?? What???!!?? It’s amazing. I’m loving it and I think this one skill; self-confidence, is going to help me so much in 2018 and beyond.
- My new recurve bow and resultant increased archery scores! Dude, what a fall for me and archery! I won two archery prizes! (one as a group and one individually) and really felt I was starting to be more consistent. Here’s a shout out to the CWRU Archery club for letting staff shoot, was so grateful to shoot there this semester and I can’t wait until the range opens again for Spring semester!
- Christmas went well. Biggest moment for me was when I gave Jennifer the youth bow I bought her (25 pound longbow, with a purple grip. hee.) and the look on my little sister Lizzie’s face! She was so happy to see Jennifer get a bow. I hope all three of us get to shoot together soon. ❤
- People liked my risotto. so there.
- I had today off. Makes dealing with a flat tire easier! Go University!
- Having enough free funds that dealing with a flat tire was an annoyance, not a danger.
- Hubby got me a new phone for Christmas. I was hoping for one, actually. Sim chip is in the mail (old one doesn’t fit, not surprizing when one moves from a 1990s style flip phone to a modern android smart phone!) And hubby pushed me a bit and I’m grateful he did, to format the SD card as internal storage; a bit tricky (The command is hidden on my phone, had to do it via command prompt) but here’s some gratitude to people who put clear directions up on webpages!
- I finally made an appointment with an allergist. Enough with these non-seasonal seasonal allergies! (I think that was on my resolution list too, actually, heh, so got it done just in time!)
- Living in Christmas cottage 🙂
Thursday again? So soon? Well that’s time for gratitude! Today I am grateful for many things:
- First and foremost, I am done with my shopping and sent all my Christmas cards. *whew!* (don’t hate me ;))
- Christmas cards, I love them. So pretty, shiny, little happy things in the mailbox!
- Dollar store tchotchkies
- Dr. J gave me a necklace she made ❤ Dr. J loves me. That is definitely something to be grateful for!
- Was able to attend Gianna and Meinhardt’s party this year without fear as it was not opposite the Lash’s party. Woot.
- The scientific method
- The absolute freedom of being able to go Christmas shopping and not worry about the running total of what I spent. My god. How amazing is that? I worried more about the appropriateness of the gift and if so-and-so would like it and have I bought them enough already? and not “Am I going to over-draw my account?” It’s just absolute bliss. (Again, don’t hate me. I know how lucky I am to be in this place!)
- The Pathology Form is done. Huzzah. (Took longer than it should, but doesn’t everything?)
- I managed to get gifts for my coworkers before we left for break, t’was a near thing.
- We got our Slovenian sausages 🙂 The refrigerator smells wonderful. Mmm, garlic.
Today I am grateful for many things:
- So, I got the gallery’s prize at the tourney last night, I should lead with that, huh? 🙂
- I did win my first fight against Levi, he’s no slouch, and I feel that I wasn’t a walk-over for FitzRanulf or Muldonny in our bouts. I believe my refusing to trade my dagger for a sword when my sword arm was lost won me the prize. For me it was a no-brainer though. I’ll take one point of honor, not two. He was welcome to drop one of his weapons if he felt I was at too much of a disadvantage.
- My increased self esteem lately. I was able to accept the win gracefully. No angst over how the other fighters must feel or anything. That’s nice.
- I was invited to the Ortho department graduation 🙂
- I got a thank you card today 🙂 Always feels good to be appreciated.
- Living in Christmas Cottage
- There were many gluten free items on the buffet last night! (I have gluten free friends, was very happy for them!)
- We found happy new homes for all of Seanda’s old garb 🙂
- I bought myself a bottle of scotch last weekend. First time ever. Again, I credit increased self-worth here; in the past it was too expensive of a luxury good for me to buy for myself so I just sat around sad and scotch-less waiting for someone to gift me some. How silly when I have the funds and means to buy my own! Got the peaty Laphoraig (or however it’s spelled) that Muldonny introduced me to. 🙂 Go me! and I was able to have a shot to celebrate after the tourney too.
- Having a good amount of my Christmas shopping done!
- Thanksgiving was lovely, seems like longer than a week ago! Very laid back and big props to my Dad and his cooking prowess.
- The CW’s Flash-Arrow-Supergirl-Ledgends crossover episodes. It’s silly, but it makes me happy. 🙂